Friday, June 17, 2016

The Art of 3D Printing

So it might seem Ironic that a blog about plastic in the oceans is posting about 3D Printing because 3D printing, like many technological advances has it's pros and cons when concerned with the environment. 3D Printing creates a new market for plastic production, and a new stream of plastic waste, with every failed print.



But If used in a smart way, it can help reduce the amount of plastic that normally gets tossed into the waste stream. With the Filabot and Filabot Reclaimer it is possible to recycle plastic right from home. You can make your own filament from the right kinds of plastics, including all those failed print jobs, that would otherwise be tossed!


3d printing is an art. It takes a bit of trial and error to get prints to turn out the way you want and there are little tricks you learn along the way. For instance, I have found that it helps to heat the bed to 50 degrees Celsius. This helps the plastic from hardening too quickly and curling at the edges.


I have been using my 3D printer to fix things around the house instead of going to buy a new one.


I have a filabot, but I need the reclaimer or some way to shred the plastic so I can start recycling all the failed print jobs I have been saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment