Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Plastic Places Jacksonville Beach

March 8, 2012,
We traveled to Jacksonville Beach, Florida to pick up the plastic debris brought in by the tide and to document what we saw. The beach was busy with sunbathers and surfers. There were many species of sea birds flying around searching for food. Hidden among the seaweed collected at the high tide line, were several pieces of plastic.

As we walked the high tide line along the beach, I noticed a seagull picking at something. I couldn't tell what it was. I could see it was small and bright green.Was it some kind of larva?



I chased the seagull, as he carried the orderve with him for a while, but he gave up and flew to a new location.







I picked up the green orderve. Just as I suspected. It was a rubbery piece of plastic.








A little further along the beach, I saw a dead seagull. I took a picture of it and kept walking. Later, while reviewing the photos, I noticed that the unlucky seagull was tangled in fishing line. I am not sure if this is what caused it's demise but it is very likely.


It made me think, how much is hidden in plain sight? Out of all the beach goers, how many even noticed the dead seagull, not to mention the fishing line wrapped around it's legs?



How many people noticed the bottle caps and balloons and plastic cups mixed in with the seaweed, or the plastic bags caught in the grass at the edge of the beach? How much do we just not notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment